• 1733 - The Beginning

    George Paul set up base as an Ironmonger in Bury St Edmunds. Although being an Ironmonger had nothing to do with malt, It was common for maltster’s to derive from a diversity of occupations. George Paul ran and grew the business steadily in many areas. George Paul’s son Robert, was integral to the development of their malting business. A keen entrepreneur, Robert owned a saddlery shop and had a great interest in the United Shipping Company whose barges carried wheat, barley and consignments of malt to the London breweries. Following his passions, he started off as a wharfinger and maltster by renting a single ‘corn chamber’ at the quay. From here he grew his family business into the 19th century.

  • 1864 - The Era of Brothers

    Robert Paul passed away. His sons Robert aged 19 and William aged 15, were left as the successors of his growing business of eleven small maltings and six barges. Once the brothers were of age, they took control of the business. The brothers decided to join the Ipswich Corn Exchange, the Baltic Exchange, the Bury St Edmunds Corn Exchange and later, the London Corn Exchange. It was from this moment onwards the business began to grow rapidly. six barges evolved into an entire fleet of 45 barges alongside an array of steamers and tugs and a shipyard in Ipswich. Voyages to London and the Medway were most common. Stocks of barley, malted barley, wheat and oats sailed into the capital. The barges then returned with timber and imported grain up to the ship yard in Ipswich.

  • 1909 - Robert’s Passing

    Robert passed away & his brother William took control of the business.